Tuesday, March 8, 2011

Play House - Long Beach, California - September 2009


A year or so ago, my dear girlfriend Em and I did a little project at her mom's house in Seal Beach.  She posted her video on VIMEO.  This particular piece was projected onto a wall-frame and titled A Portrait of Zen Josey In Three Parts.

It showed in an old furniture warehouse in Long Beach, California for an event called Play House (conceived by Bahareh Eb).  You can read a small blog on the event.  And a review of the show as a whole can be read HERE.

The video was a projected into a lit up frame 8x10 feet, I would guesstimate, with small shadowboxes along the sides holding jewelery and make-up from the piece itself.  It looped all evening, much like the dance pieces that looped throughout the venue.  The complete dances looped about 3 or 4 times, I would say, through the course of the evening.  My darling friend, Andrew, was one of the dances in these pieces and was beautiful and graceful as always.  And oddly enough, I met up with an old friend from middle school who was playing live music for the last part of the dance piece that ended on the first floor of the building.  The ambiance was cozy and old and I just loved the whole thing.  Overall, the evening I attended holds very fond memories for me.
Filming the piece was fun as well.  I met up at Em's house in Seal Beach for a few hours where we rearranged the dining room, cleared out space in the garage and tried to find the best angle in the shower.  Overall, it was a very spiritual and cathartic piece for me and I am deeply grateful to Em for making me a part of it.

No comments:

Post a Comment